Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Lecture/ Briefing
- School Program
- High School students(9-12)
- Middle school students(6-8)
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
1. We began our week with BAW gift bags. All staff and students received bags with the BAW logo stickers on them containing the educational books, pencil & eraser provided by BAW. 2. Faculty & staff received daily e-mail info blasts about various brain functions. 3. A guest speaker was scheduled to discuss chiari malformations and adaptive athleticism 4. We conducted "Brain Games" during the common lunch period. Students and teachers worked together to complete tasks geared at accessing different portions of the brain, or bringing awareness of the nervous system's capabilities. Students created models of the spinal column using egg cartons & licorice; completed a mathematical twister which involved creating a curve out of straight lines on a graph; a taste test which involved taste, sight, and smell; a logic puzzle which required out of the box thinking.
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
Of the Dana Foundation publications/resources distributed at your event(s), if any, please indicate the three most popular. Please choose up to three. If "other," please indicate below:
- Q&A: Answering Your Questions About The Brain
- More Mindbogglers!
- Staying Sharp Bookmark
- BAW Stickers
- BAW Pencils
- Brain-shaped Erasers
- The Mindboggling Workbook
- Staying Sharp: Successful Aging and the Brain
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- Q&A: Answering Your Questions About Brain Research Fact Sheets
- Puzzles: Grades 9-12
- Puzzles: BAW Favorites
- Puzzles: Successful Aging & Your Brain
- Brain Briefs Fact Sheets
- Kids Fact Sheets Grades 9-12
- Lesson Plans Grades 6-8
What other downloadable materials would you like the Foundation to provide?
- New Fact Sheets
- New Lesson Plans
- New Puzzles/Games
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- BAW Logos
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
It really brought the community together. Staff were able to bring information they learned from the BAW materials to those outside of school, so it was great to see the outreach growing. Students, faculty, and staff all enjoyed receiving "goody bags" and participating in the "Brain Games" activities. Everyone who participated really enjoyed the activities and commented on how they were surprised at what they had learned.
Did/do you like our Facebook page?