Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Lecture/ Briefing
- School Program
- Other: Brain Awareness Medical Science Scholarship Banquet
- Elementary school students(1-5)
- General Public
- High School students(9-12)
- Middle school students(6-8)
- Patients & Caregivers
- University students
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
Sia Yorker Brain Awareness Medical Science Scholarship Banquet-Awarded & Honored 7 Medical Science Scholarship Recipients. Educated the community and attendees on Adverse Brain Conditions and provided resources and literature to help community caregivers as well as others that may be experiencing symptoms of an adverse brain condition. Brain Awareness Health Fair- Pine Ridge High School- Spoke to over 300 students and provided Brain Awareness Literature to help educate family members with Adverse Brain conditions as well as High Blood pressure,etc. Think Big Brain Awareness Bicycle & Helmet Safety Tips & Popsicle Social-Deltona Lakes Elementary- Demonstrated safe bicycle tips along with helmet safety (using a real bicycle with kick stand and bike helmet! Passed out popsicles and Brain safety literature for children, teachers and parents. The objective of our programs was is to educate the community at large of signs and symptoms of adverse brain conditions and encourage the community to be proactive by taking preventive measures in avoiding head injuries. etc. Our programs are very successful.
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
- Calendar Listings (newspapers, radio, television)
- Press Release/Media Advisory
- Social Media
Other Publicity Methods:
Sia Brain Awareness Scholarship Foundation continue to enhance ongoing relationships with the community and always look for other avenues to create and build new relationships within and outside of the community.
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
Of the Dana Foundation publications/resources distributed at your event(s), if any, please indicate the three most popular. Please choose up to three. If "other," please indicate below:
- Q&A: Answering Your Questions About Brain Research
- It’s Mindboggling!
- More Mindbogglers!
- BAW Pencils and Erasers
- The Mindboggling Workbook
- Staying Sharp: Successful Aging and the Brain
Other Dana Foundation Materials Distributed:
- All of the above mentioned materials and others not mentioned have been very successful in helping to educate the community on adverse brain conditions.
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- BAW Certificate of Participation
- Mindboggling Coloring Sheets
What other downloadable materials would you like the Foundation to provide?
- Lesson Plans
- New Puzzles/Games
- New Coloring Sheets
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- BAW Flyer
- BAW Poster
- BAW Web site banner
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
Our community Brain Awareness events would not have been successful or possible with out BAW’S brain information/handouts, and other pertinent materials such as erasers, bookmarks,etc. Having tangible items to hand out has been an overall great success!
Please share any suggestions or lessons learned that may help others plan future events:
1. Create a Team of persons that have the same heart (educating and bringing awareness to the community) on topics that deals with the brain and the importance of ongoing brain research. 2. Prepare ahead for you future Brain Awareness Events. 3. Stay in contact with those that allowed you to bring Brain Awareness within their organizations,communities. etc. 4. Be Creative 5. Always Mention those that you partner with such as Dana Foundation 6. Don’t forget to turn in your reports 7. Never Stop Educating the Community of Signs and Symptoms of Adverse Brain Conditions 8. Enjoy what you are doing!
Did/do you like our Facebook page?
Was the information provided on Facebook useful?
I’m not a fan of the BAW Face Book Page but I will join!