Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Brain Bee
- Social Media Campaign
- Other: Sporting activities; A fitness walk and a soccer match.
- General Public
- University students
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
The two main events we organized during this 2022 Brain Awareness Week campaign were :
1. A social media campaign for one week (from the 14th to the 20th March 2022 ). During this period of the campaign, daily questions about the brain were posted on a social media platform (WhatsApp group and WhatsApp statuses) and the different answers of the participants were recorded at the end of each day, the correct answers were posted on the platform and the best respondents were rewarded.
2. The second event was a heathy fitness walk by the general public in Buea (Cameroon) on Saturday 19th March 2022, followed by a public Lecture on the impact of stress on the brain. After the lecture, we had a soccer match. We closed the celebration by a reward to the winners of the various competitions and a family picture.
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
- Press Release/Media Advisory
- Social Media
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- Certificate of Participation
- Lesson Plans Grades K-5
- Lesson Plans Grades 6-8
- Lesson Plans Grades 9-12
What other downloadable materials would you like the Foundation to provide?
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- Brain Awareness Week Logos
- Brain Awareness Week Facebook Cover Image
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
Participating in Brain Awareness Week benefited my local community in many ways; the local population learned more about the impact of stress on their mental health and the benefits of doing a sporting activity of their choice to cope with stress on a daily basis. Since we began the BAW campaign in 2019 it has become a key outreach activity of our University. This campaign has fostered the enthusiasm of many young students to engage in future Neuroscience programs in our University.
Please share any suggestions or lessons learned that may help others plan future events:
The lessons I learned from my experience and that I can share with others are: first plan your event early enough and second always seek advice from colleagues or others resources persons.