Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Lecture/ Briefing
- Press Briefing
- School Program
- Other: Quiz
- Elementary school students(1-5)
- General Public
- High School students(9-12)
- University students
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
1. Brain walk: Members, together with some principal officers of the university, and students had a walk through the university campus to create awareness of the brain week activities. RESULT: Many lecturers/researchers and students indicated interest to join our Neuroscience group 2. Press briefing: Kept the BAW and our activities in the news all through 3. School program: Spoke to children in primary schools (3-11 years) on the basic things about the brain, and to those in secondary (11-18 years) on the substance abuse and their adverse effects on the brain. RESULT: School authorities, teachers and students were so excited and eager to participate in the next year's BAW 4. Brain talk/Symposium: A talk titled 'The Brain; Now and Later' delivered by a neurologist and Commissioner for Health, enlightened the people - both young and old on the healthy practices that can enhance healthy brain save it from fast ageing and its problems. RESULT: Audience felt so educated and satisfied 5. Brain Quiz Competition: Gave quiz competition on facts of the brain to children in the primary and secondary categories and gave prizes to the best performing children and their schools RESULT: Made the schools including those that did not participate to long for next year's BAW
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
- Social Media
Other Publicity Methods:
Personal contact with colleagues and students
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- Brain Briefs Fact Sheets
- Kids Fact Sheets Grades 3-5
- Kids Fact Sheets Grades 6-8
- Kids Fact Sheets Grades 9-12
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- BAW Flyer
- BAW Logos
- BAW Poster
- BAW Facebook Cover Photo
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
Our organization was so impressed at the sacrifices we made to put the activities together more especially because it brought them on the news throughout the period. Schools that did not participate have since been reminding us of their interest to be included in next year's program Both academics and students from both universities involved are coming up to join our group. Being the 1st in the geopolitical zone (south east Nigeria), people from neighboring states are eager to partner with us
Please share any suggestions or lessons learned that may help others plan future events:
Start sensitization early enough. It may be good if you insist on having people express their interest to attend to enable adequate plans especially if you intend to offer refreshment to avoid shortages. We had to expand our budget midway and it really weighed heavily on us. Moreso when we sponsored the program on our won
Did/do you like our Facebook page?